My Support System

My Support System
I have the best time with these guys

Monday, September 1, 2014

Maybe You Don't Agree-Tamoxifen

    Well, I have debated whether to share this or not.  I guess this blog is like my journal so, why not??  I have decided not to take Tamoxifen anymore.  Why??? would I ever do that?  Well, there are so many reasons.  #1 (and it is a HUGE #1)  my tumor was less than 1% estrogen positive. I had the tumor tested twice and two different locations and it came back the same both times.   I am almost a triple negative.  That would be negative for estrogen, progesterone and her2.  I didn't have to take the herceptin chemotherapy, which is an extra round of chemo.  Most people who take Tamoxifen are like 40% or more positive for estrogen.
    I saw my doctor this week.  The conversation went like this, "How is the Tamoxifen going?" he says.  I waited for a few seconds and said, "Well, I am not going to be taking the Tamoxifen."  It had only been about 7 days since the last pill but it felt pretty dang good to take my own health into my hands. I felt like I was letting him down but I have to do what I think is best. Yes, it is scary.  It is CRAZY scary!!  What if this is the wrong choice??  What if in three months the cancer is back?  I will never know if it is the cancer or not taking the "PILL".  It seems like everyone around me (Pink sisters) take "the PILL".  We do it because the doctors tell us to.  Does it help?  My doctor said it was like wearing a seat belt, sure you may not have an accident but it is there just in case you do.
   Why would I want to make this decision?  My side effects-weight gain, anxiety, hot flashes (like a burning tube of lava in my body, hot flashes), lost my right ovary due to cyst growth, had to get a D&C because of uterine growth, and the possibility of uterine cancer in the future.  Plus, the doctors have now decided people need to take it for 10 years instead of 5 years.  Well, it has been about 2 weeks now and "the PILL" is still getting out of my system.  I am with great hope that my body will be returned to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment