My Support System

My Support System
I have the best time with these guys

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Port placement, hair cuts and the red devil

                                                          Hair cut-on my terms!  Take that cancer...
Final pose
                                                                Waiting for my Port Placement
                                              My Lovely Power Port-I've got super powers!
I have the best friends!


Wow, I have learned a lot over the last few days. As I sit here getting my first chemotherapy treatment, I am thinking about all of my blessings. I have been blessed with a wonderful husband, great children, beautiful home, true friends and a fullfillimg job. I am thankful for my Savior and all that he gives me. I am truly grateful for each additional day that I am given.

Friday April 6...I had my PET scan in the morning. The worst part was not being able to eat carbs or dairy the day before. I can now say that I am addicted to carbs. I was so hungry and was very whinny about not feeling well. My poor husband just took it and was very supportive. The PET scan showed that my cancer is pretty contained to my breast and a couple of lymph nodes. There is no sign of cancer in my other organs. That is a good thing. My cancer is estrogene positive, which is also a good thing. The doctors have more medicine to treat that kind, I have been told. I didn't mind the PET scan, I took a Zanex so I was relaxed. Todd said that I was very agreeable. Maybe I should take them more often? I then went to Cedar City and had my surgery to have my POWER PORT (like I have a super power or something)placed. That wasn't so bad. I woke up super hungry. The first thing I said was, "Give me my food". I know my priorities. The rest of the night was a blur. Lots of meds + me= coocoo.

Monday April 9...I saw my great oncologist. He was really supportive and encouraging. He said that my echocardiogram was fine just that it showed something cold and dark...ha ha (my heart). I know that he and I are going to get along just fine. I also got my hair cut today. I cut off all of it so that I could dontate it to Locks of Love before the chemo got into it. It is going to fall out anyway. I am going to be one hot bald woman...watch out!

Tuesday April 10..Day of my first chemotherapy. I started off the day with a breast MRI. I will have to say that this is the worst thing that I have done. I should have saved the anxiety meds for this. You have to lay down with you face in a blanket, boobs hanging and don't you dare move. It will mess everything up. The noise is extremely loud. The machine takes 1000 pictures and formulates images of the cancer and suspicious spots. I am NOT looking forward to this again anytime soon. I had to keep thinking about my kids and why I was fighting this cancer.

Next came the chemotherapy. I am not going to lie. I did cry. I cried because it was real. I cried because I am sick. I cried because my life was about to change. Why is a 34 year old woman going to have chemotherapy??? Why, because I want to live. I want to be here for my family. I have way too many smiles to share, way too many good night kisses to give and way to many "I love you's" to say. So, I got the red devil in my veins. It is called that because it is red and it makes you pee red. My whole insides are probably red. They most likely look like Kool-Aid. I feel okay. It might take a few days to feel the affects but I am fighting this and I am fighting hard!

4 comments:

  1. I just can't stop thinking about you! You ARE a fighter and I'm so lucky to know you and call you my friend. I'm thinking about you and praying for your quick turn around from the chemo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My prayers are with you!! I wish you nothing but the best...

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update Robyn. I have been thinking so much of you! You are amazing and will come out of this even stronger! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's OK to cry, it always makes me feel better! Yes you will still be HOT without hair!

    ReplyDelete